Breaking Barriers: Exclusive Interview with the Only Female Bus Driver on OAU Campus

By Esther Ademola
The Icons Organization, in collaboration with Great Ife Network, recently conducted an exclusive interview with Mrs. Elugbaju, the sole female driver on the OAU campus. Standing out as the only woman among the Towngboro drivers, Mrs. Elugbaju has sparked curiosity about her motivation. During the interview, she shared insights into her experiences and shed light on her journey as a female driver in a male-dominated field.

Question: Can you introduce yourself?

Mrs Elugbaju: My name is Mrs Elugbaju. I am one of the driver of buses in the campus, I'm the only lady.

Question: How did you become a bus driver especially in a University like Obafemi Awolowo University?

Mrs Elugbaju: I'm a civil servant. This is just a part time job for me. After office hour like 5:00pm, I do bring my bus and I will be loading from campus to gate and from gate to Campus like around 7:30pm-8:00pm then I will go back.


Question: Being the only female driver on campus, have you faced any difficulties or disrespect from colleagues or passengers?

Mrs Elugbaju: Initially when I started last year, the fare was just ₦50 but now It is ₦150 and about the petrol, the
Petrol is too much. When I started, it was just maybe ₦180 per litre or ₦200 but now ₦750 to ₦800 at times. There was a time when there was no petrol at all, even ₦1200 per litre, so it is part of the challenges. Also, getting change is another thing and some students react negatively to this. Morestill, there are times when some of my colleagues may be hostile but we are friends.

Question: How do you deal with tough situations with the transport management or union?

Mrs Elugbaju: Well, the Union. They are our leaders and they coordinate things. To be frank and sincere, they are the coordinators especially on campus. If anything wants to go wrong between the students' union and the drivers or with the management, the transport union will come and settle it. They coordinate very well.

Question: What happens when you and your colleagues disagree, how do you guys work through it?

Mrs Elugbaju: Well, you know, even at home, there are no two people who will be doing things together. There will be times of fusion, I mean misunderstandings. But what I like amidst us is that we don't hold grudges. When anything happens, you might talk to each other, you might quarrel, but before the day breaks or the next day, that issue is already gone - just another episode. If you have food, I can eat with you; we help each other. Maybe somebody's vehicle or bus has a problem - they will rise, maybe to change the tire, maybe to see and give advice on our job.

Question: What do you enjoy most about your job?

Mrs Elugbaju: I like one thing; there is no day that you come amidst the drivers that you will not laugh. There might be misunderstandings; they quarrel, but there will be laughs. They crack jokes, and you will be happy amidst them. Even at times when there are no students or when only a few people are around, we still gather around the tree. Here we will crack jokes, wanting to enjoy what they will say, and we will laugh.

Question: How do you handle difficult situations with students or passengers?

Mrs Elugbaju: Okay, let me share this experience. One day, she gave me ₦200 and wanted to collect ₦50. I said, "Aunty, I don't have ₦50. Either you take your money and come back to give me, or I do." Before I could finish, she wanted to confront me. I said, "Okay, take your money," and I returned the money. That was one episode. Another time, someone took my money, but later returned it, saying, "Mummy, I'm sorry. I didn't pay that day. Here is your money." I enjoy the students; they are friendly. Some of them even say, "I want to enter Mummy's bus. Is it your turn?" I reply, "It's not my turn yet." That's it. I enjoy being around students.

Question: Do you enjoy your work as a driver?

Mrs Elugbaju : At times, my heart might be heavy. So, when I am around here, immediately I'm around, there are some of them; they will come and crack jokes. I will forget about this thing that is bothering me at that time, so I enjoy driving them. We crack jokes, we relate well, but occasionally there will be a quarrel. But we settle easily. Then another thing that I will say is it keeps me busy and it's another additional income for my family to cater for my undergraduate children. So, I enjoy it, and it's fetching me something. It might not be rich, but I'm getting something out of it.

Question: Do consider beign a bus driver a profitable business?

Mrs Elugbaju: You know, in Nigeria now, things are very hard. Even the market people are complaining; everybody there's no day you come out you drive you will eat, you will get your daily living.

Question: What do you have to say to females out there who might want to consider driving as a side hustle?

Mrs Elugbaju: Encourage them. If you have time, you can come and learn it. Once you can drive very well, you can master the way they do it. You can do it as a part-time job too. Maybe, when you graduate and your parents can afford a bus, it might not be in life; it might be in Lagos. It's a source of income, a source of job opportunity to get another thing. So, don't sit down and say it's not. There is something there, and it will keep you busy. That is what I can say; so, ladies can do it. I am a working class; I'm still doing it. As a woman, even having children that are grown up, you too can do it. So, it's a very good job for both males and females.

Question: You are an inspiration to many especially female students who might not see women in this profession. What advice would you give to them?

Mrs Elugbaju: As you can see, the drivers - some of them are graduates, Masters degree holders, and even bank managers. Before they decided, even retirees are among them; they retired from the civil service, bought vehicles, and started doing it. My advice to graduates: if you are interested, I can guide you. So, if you are a man or any of the drivers, it's a good opportunity for a graduate seeking a job or not doing anything. When you move closer, it presents a sort of job opportunity for people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nights of Horror: Men Invade Moremi Hostel At Night. Here's what they did

Gas Explodes At Moremi Hostel

Attempted Rape: Moremi Hostel Victim Narrates How It All Happened