OAU Secures Two Gold Medals in Judo at FASU Games

By Adedoyin Oguntade
Ogungbe Peter Oluwadamilare, a Part 3 student of the Department of Physical and Health Education, fought Judo in the Federation of African University Sports (FASU) games and won gold in the -81kg and open weight categories.

The 11th edition of the FASU games began in Lagos, Nigeria, with over 1,500 athletes from 43 African nations participating. The event started on September 21 and will conclude on September 29. UNILAG and LASU are co-hosting the games, making it the first time two universities have jointly hosted the event. Athletes from African universities compete in 17 sports such as athletics, basketball, football, and swimming. Nigeria is hosting the games for the first time in two decades, last hosting in 2004 at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University in Bauchi.


In an exclusive interview with an Icons correspondent, Ogungbe Peter shared his experience during the competition.

Icons Correspondent: How long did you practice ahead of the FASU games?

Ogungbe Peter: FASU came as a shock actually. I was just doing my normal routine until I was told about 5 days before the beginning of the competition that we were going to FASU.

Icons Correspondent: For how long have you been practicing Judo and why did you choose Judo?

Ogungbe Peter: For about 5 years now. I chose judo because I was a fan of wrestling from my childhood, so I chose something more realistic and fun.

Icons Correspondent: How would you describe how you were feeling during the competition?

Ogungbe Peter: I was really tense at first, but I later realized that I could not change my fate. I had to fight. So, I just went there with the mindset of 'trying my best and leaving the rest to God.'

Icons Correspondent: How would you describe your overall experience at the FASU games?

Ogungbe Peter: It was an eye-opening experience. I was really happy for the great achievement because I consider this a very big win for myself. Also, I have met a lot of athletes from different countries and schools.

Icons Correspondent: What sort of opportunities do you think your win at the FASU games will bring to you?

Ogungbe Peter: I hope this opens a way for me to compete at the National Sports Festival next year. Also, sponsorship and promotion would be really beneficial.

Icons Correspondent: What is your advice for any OAU student interested in Judo?

Ogungbe Peter: Judo is a great sport for self-defense, fitness, and safety. It will boost your self-confidence too. I would love to see new faces in our dojo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nights of Horror: Men Invade Moremi Hostel At Night. Here's what they did

Gas Explodes At Moremi Hostel

Attempted Rape: Moremi Hostel Victim Narrates How It All Happened